Joe Schmitt writes a weekly blog called The Good Life, featuring information about the region’s history, culture, climate and economy. The blog also showcases new residents, clubs and organizations, outdoor recreational opportunities and local events.
New Resident Matt Russell
April 21, 2015
Our association writes a blog series on people who have relocated to our Valley. This month it is our pleasure to introduce you to Matt Russell He recently relocated from San Antonio, Texas. We met Matt at a welcome reception last Spring and we are very happy he has joined our community. Help us welcome Matt and his girlfriend Diana to our Valley.
- Name & Age: - Matthew Russell - 32
- Profession/Job Title: - Management – Chief Financial Officer
- How long have you been in Yakima (or are you in another city?)? – A little over a year
- Where did you move from? – San Antonio, TX
- Why did you move here? – Great opportunity at Solarity Credit Union
- Who did you move here with? – Diana Briseno – significant other
- How do you like to spend your free time? – Traveling, sightseeing the beautiful Pacific Northwest, enjoying the great outdoors, hiking, taking our dogs out and about, making new friends
- What’s something you couldn’t wait to try when you moved here? Did it live up to the hype? – I am a beer guy so I was looking forward to all of the beers and microbrews in the area along with the wineries. They definitely did live up to the hype and even surpassed them.
- Can you share your favorite restaurant, shop, bar, or coffee house (why)? – Zesta Cucina – great food, atmosphere, good drinks, great service and friendly staff
- Anything you’re looking forward to trying that you haven’t done yet? – We still have not had a chance to go skiing since it was a mild winter.
- What’s been the best part of living in Yakima so far? – The weather, less traffic than San Antonio which puts more free time in my day and less stress, and its close proximity to so many things to do and see in the Pacific Northwest
- If someone was on the fence about moving to Yakima or the valley what would you tell them? – Do not underestimate the Yakima area and what it has to offer.
Meet our other new residents:
Kiva | Shelly | Kellen l Andy l Emily
Living in the Valley | Things to See & Do | Relocation Packet
Share this article
Other stories in:
"You get the best of both worlds over here. If you get an itch for the city, you're only two hours away, but here you're close to hiking, camping, fishing, boating, and great wineries!" - Sarah Cassell Frenzel, Valley Resident