Joe Schmitt writes a weekly blog called The Good Life, featuring information about the region’s history, culture, climate and economy. The blog also showcases new residents, clubs and organizations, outdoor recreational opportunities and local events.
New Resident: Emily Martin
March 10, 2015
As part of our new blog on people who have relocated to our Valley, It is our pleasure to introduce you to Emily Martin. She is brand new to our area - her husband lives and works in Sunnyside. We met her as a result of work she is doing for Sunnyside Community Hospital. Please help us welcome Emily to our Valley.
- Name & Age: Emily Martin, 28
- Profession/Job Title: Consultant for NewEgde, a strategic growth firm in Richland, WA
- How long have you been in Sunnyside (or are you in another city?)? I moved to Sunnyside in September 2014
- Where did you move from? I had lived in Richland for a little under a year, I moved from working in Spokane.
- Why did you move here? I recently got married and my husband is from Sunnyside.
- Who did you move here with? I moved to Sunnyside with my husband, Jeff
- What’s been the most surprising thing about Sunnyside so far? The tight unity between the residents. I grew up in Spokane and have lived in relatively larger cities for most of my life, so it has been surprising to me about living in a small rural community how tight-knit everyone is and how the community comes together. It’s really great!
- How do you like to spend your free time? I work a lot and so when I do have free time, I love to spend it with my family and friends. We love to play board games, watch movies, go four-wheeling, walking and go hiking.
- What’s something you couldn’t wait to try when you moved here? Did it live up to the hype? I heard a lot about Burger Ranch’s fried asparagus. It’s fantastic. I was quite pleased with the experience.
- Can you share your favorite restaurant, shop, bar, or coffee house (why)? I love El Conquistador – a Mexican restaurant in Sunnyside. It’s delicious and the service is great.
- Anything you’re looking forward to trying that you haven’t done yet? I love food and after living in the Caribbean for 18 months, I learned that some of the best food comes from street vendors, so I’m looking forward to eating at some taco trucks in Sunnyside that I hear are fantastic.
- What’s been the best part of living in Sunnyside so far? I love living close to family and I love Sunnyside in the spring and summer when our house is surrounded by corn fields and I can smell mint and grapes.
- If someone was on the fence about moving to Sunnyside or the valley what would you tell them?I would say if you love to live in a smaller community, that is surrounded by beautiful sunsets, gorgeous views of Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams and be around caring people, move to Sunnyside.
Meet our other new residents:
Kiva | Shelly | Kellen l Andy
Living in the Valley | Things to See & Do | Relocation Packet
Share this article
Other stories in:
"I've lived in Alabama, Louisiana, and Texas, but the people in this community are like non-other, they're truly family." - Sherpri Small, Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic